Three centuries ago, in 1678, one of the most significant manor homes in Virginia, originally named The Grange, was constructed by Christopher Robinson, who had arrived in the Colony from England about 1666. This home was the gathering place for many of the important families of Virginia who helped shape the colony into the commonwealth it would eventually become.
His son, Christopher Robinson II, upon inheriting the estate, renamed the plantation Hewick for the Robinson ancestral home in England. Christopher Robinson II was Clerk of Middlesex County and served in the House of Burgesses. He was a member of the Kings Council, appointed the Secretary of Foreign Plantations and was an original Trustee of the College of William and Mary.
Old accounts of Hewick describe it as being located amidst beautiful trees, with a lane lined by sixty ancient oaks on each side, leading to the house, and with beautiful lawns bordered by the poplar boxwood. It was a village unto itself with a blacksmith, carpenter, cobbler, and butcher shops to take care of the plantation needs. The slave quarters were near the river where there were docks for the loading shipments of tobacco to England and receiving manufactured goods. The grounds included gardens and orchards, family burial grounds, spring and spring house.
Hewick was a gathering place for the Robinsons, Wormsleys, Beverleys, Braxtons, and others to discuss the affairs of the Nation they were helping to build. With all the strength and elegance today as it epitomized three centuries ago, it is indeed a monument to the past where these men met "Who first placed the name of Virginia on the maps of all the civilized world and laid the foundation for her greatness."
Hewick is currently undergoing an extensive restoration. The plantation grounds are available as a full service wedding and event venue, offering simple elegance in an historical setting. It is listed in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register and on the National Register of Historic Places.